So, like most of the entrepreneurs, you also have an app idea buzzing in your head but don’t have a clear vision of how to execute it. The mobile app industry is at the peak in terms of revenue and growth, the expansion of the industry is only expected to accelerate in the coming years. This makes it is mandatory for you to turn your idea into reality as soon as possible. Besides, Statista reports that the app industry global economy is expected to be 188.7 billion by 2020. With the economy of mobile industry skyrocketing it is essential for you to integrate the mobile app strategy into your business plan successfully. But, how to get an app developed? Some will suggest you hire the app developer and invest hundreds of dollars without even knowing anything, that could be too risky.
Getting your homework done about the mobile app development with methodological planning will not only save your money but also helps to go in the right direction. Here we have created a small ‘how to build a mobile app’ guide to help you out.
How to develop a mobile app?
- What problem your app can solve?
- Focus on the app’s core feature
- Identify the driving factors
- Wireframe or design of the app
- Testing the prototype
- Testing prototype
- Dive into the development
- Beta testing program
- Launching the app
- App Promotion
- Feedbacks, fixing the bugs
1. What problem your app can solve?
Every new entrepreneur has an idea that could be converted into a mobile app for people. But, the reality is that not every app gets successful, it needs to have a purpose that solves some common problem. Until your app doesn’t solve a user’s problem with an effective solution, it can never be ‘need to have’ product, it could only become ‘nice to have’. To acquire a large number of users and convince them to download your app, the app needs to be a problem solver. For example, WhatsApp came when the users were struggling on text messaging, either they have to pay while using SMS or use the Facebook Messenger. WhatsApp provided the instant communication channel with a number of benefits that is what made it a huge success. If you already have an idea then it is excellent otherwise you need to do some R&D over it.
Here are the few helpful tips you can use:
- Find out the problem among users that your app can resolve
- How your app will help the users
- What will be an essential feature that will make it a ‘need to have’ app?
2. Focus on the app’s core feature
Pick any of the successful apps, and you will see it providing only one service but with the excellent user experience. The user’s don’t like their experience getting hamper due to the presence of unnecessary features. So, you need to be very cautious about the core feature of the app. Put your maximum resources on the one thing to deliver a flawless service and exactly what users want from the app.
The most popular and user appreciated apps are ones that work harder on its core value to serve the user. Research your rivals to know what wrong they are doing while fulfilling the user’s demands. Besides, write down the core functionality of the app and work hard to know how you can enhance it further for the users.
- Keep your focus on the core feature of the app
- Try to make it simple and more helpful
- Keep evolving the functionality with more research and ideas
- Try to add more features to the app via further updates depending upon the user’s requirements.
3. Identify the driving factors
To make an app successful and user-oriented your need to be crystal clear about the approach at every step of the development. Whether it is the core feature or deciding type of app you want, everything should be on the table. To make this happen, at this stage of the process you need to identify the following factors:
- The targeted users- Every app has its own targeted users who are most likely to install the app. So, the app should be built keeping the targeted users in mind. This makes necessary to first identify about the targeted users and know about them. The users who are interested in your service and need the app to make their life easier should be your prime concern.
- Business plan and revenue model- At the end of the day, it is the revenue that decides the success of a mobile application. So, you need to plan the revenue model for your app that will bring the money from the users. Currently, in the market, there are a number of ways to monetize the app, you can sell in the app stores. There are other options like in-app purchases, subscriptions, advertisements and pay per download. These techniques help the developers to earn money via their app. However, you need to plan the revenue model according to the functionality and targeted users of the app.
- The selection of the technology- Now, it’s time to select the technology of the app, whether you want a web application, Native or Hybrid. The decision depends upon the service you’re providing to the users. If you want to enhance your current website, then you must go for the web application. The Native apps will be suitable for you to target users with the most prominent UI and performance. On the other hand, the hybrid apps will save you some money and will be little behind Native when it comes to performance.
4. Wireframe or design of the app
Yes, you’re right this is where we will be working on the design of the app by creating a prototype. The UI and design of the app play a significant role for the app success, as the users will be interacting with your app via the design, so you need to be cautious about the look and feel of the app. Designing of the app is a crucial step of the process as it lands an immediate impact on the user. There is a number of Wireframe tools that you can use to draw a simple prototype of your app’s design.
It will help you in getting the basic idea about:
- How your app will interact with the users
- How the user will navigate through it
- What type of content flow your app needs
- How to Keep focused on the core feature
The tools that you can use are – HotGloo, Balsamiq, Moqups, and much more.
5. Testing the prototype
Once you’re done with wireframing, it’s time to test the prototype to find out the flaws and possibilities of enhancements. This is the stage where you can experience the early version of your app and see how it will work. By testing, I meant you need to see it from the user point of view and look for the spot of improvements. The prototype maybe won’t give you the exact feel of the end product, but as an owner, you can check whether it is going in the right direction or not.
6. Dive into the development
Now, it’s time to go for the actual development of the app and kick off the app development process. With the help of earlier steps., you have enough knowledge and idea about the app to choose the right app development partner. Hiring the app development company is the most crucial part of the process as the developer will be responsible for the fate of the app.
Depending upon the current market availability you have three choices:
- Large-scale developer- The companies with big names and impressive portfolios that will give your a big dedicated team of developers. However, you need to be very hard on your pocket to hire the large-scale developers. You will get the desired product and within the asked timeline.
- Small-scale developer- If you have a tight budget and looking for a reliable source then there are many small-scale app development companies.
- Freelancers– You can also go for the freelancers available across the globe. However, you need to make sure about the hired freelancer by going through the previous works and talking to the earlier clients.
7. Beta testing program
The app development company will complete the process in coordination with the final testing of the app. But you can’t, entirely reliant on the company’s testing results as it will the end users who should like your app. So, here comes the beta testing program that most of the companies are following nowadays. Provide early access to some of the targeted users before the final launch so they can give you the real feedback.
The beta testing program involves:
- Selecting the beta testers: It is essential that you must conduct the beta testing of your app with the targeted customers. The concerned users will tell you about the bugs or any inconvenience on the app more efficiently.
- Rectify the bugs: Once you get all the appropriate feedback from the beta users sharing the bugs and flaws, it is time to correct them.
- Identifying the future of the app: The beat testing not only gets all the flaws of the app but also gets the real feedback from the targeted users. The genuine feedback will tell you that whether your app has chances to make it big in the industry or you need to make some significant changes.
8. Launching the app
Now, it is the show time, you have worked through a long process, and it’s time to launch the app. It may seem like a natural step, but you need to be very careful during the deployment. Introducing the app in the app stores requires special attention, make sure about the launching environment, and all the expected components that are being launched. Do follow all the app store guidelines and instruction to successfully launch the app.
9. App promotion
Your job is not done yet, launching the app doesn’t assure you that the targeted users will get it by themselves. There are almost 3.8 million apps in the Google play store and the Apple App store is offering around 2.2 million apps. This makes the competition fierce than ever for you to make your app visible in the app store. The strategized and successful app promotion will ensure that the app will be noticed by the target users and install it.
App promotion includes:
- ASO (App Store Optimization)
- Social media marketing
- Marketing campaigns
10. Get real feedbacks, work on them and add new features
The competition remains the same even when the user has installed your app as uninstallation risk is still there. With the help of user’s feedback and their responses, you need to figure out what new feature can be added in the app. Try to resolve the bugs and issues immediately and keep replying to the users’ feedbacks. The frequent involvement from your side and updates will make the user hold on your app for a long time.
I hope these 10 steps will help you in getting a complete picture of getting the app developed successfully. The guide will help you in overcoming the common hurdles and prepare yours for the effective mobile app development process that could save your time and cost as well. If you have any question regarding mobile app development then please let us know via comments.